LG’S V40 THINQ COULD BE THE SMARTPHONE FOR THE AUDIOPHILE
LG has been working with Meridian Audio since 2017 and a number of LG's latest soundbars and wireless speakers carry the 'Audio tuned with Meridian’ badge. Now they've turned their eye to smartphones.
At first glance, the standout feature of the V40 would seem to be its five cameras – three on the back, two on the front – which afford it a photographic flexibility you won’t find on any other smartphone.
However, we suspect the V40 ThinQ’s enhanced audio capabilities may be the bigger draw for our readers. LG has partnered up with legendary British hi-fi manufacturer Meridian for the phone’s audio design
Impressively, there’s a 32-bit Quad DAC built-in that when paired with a decent set of wired headphones or speakers (importantly there's still a 3.5mm headphone jack) promises to deliver exceptionally clean, detailed and accurate sound reproduction.
John Buchanan, Meridian Audio CEO, said:
Meridian’s desire to put the listener at the heart of every performance and transform the way people experience sound continues to inspire our research and engineering, and we are delighted that LG’s V40 ThinQ is the very first smartphone to offer better sound to more people through ‘Audio tuned with Meridian’.
The LG Boombox Speaker, originally introduced on the LG G7 ThinQ, doubles the bass of conventional smartphone speakers by utilizing the internal space of the device as a resonance chamber. When placed on a solid surface or hollow box, the LG V40 ThinQ acts like a woofer to amplify the bass even more.
Adding even more audio tech, the V40 also features DTS:X 3D Surround Sound, although it's hard to imagine how that might work on a phone? It may add more convincing movie immersion via headphones.
The V40 ThinQ (which has no Australian release date at the time of writing) comes with a 6.4-inch OLED screen, 3,300mAh battery, 6GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 845 processor, putting it firmly in the flagship category when it comes to specs and power.
GadgetNET says: The best smartphone for audiophiles? While most smartphones prioritise convenience over sound quality, LG seems to have taken a different tack here. We’re looking forward to putting it through its paces.
- Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 Mobile Platform
- Display: 6.4-inch 19.5:9 QHD+ OLED FullVision Display (3120 x 1440 / 538ppi)
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4x RAM / 64GB or 128GB UFS 2.1 ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
- - Rear: 16MP Super Wide (F1.9 / 1.0μm / 107°) 12MP Standard (F1.5 / 1.4μm / 78°) 12MP Telephoto (F2.4 / 1.0μm / 45°)
- - Front: 8MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.12μm / 80°) 5MP Wide (F2.2 / 1.12μm / 90°)
- Battery: 3300mAh
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Size: 158.7 x 75.8 x 7.7mm
- Weight: 169g
- Network: LTE-A 4 Band CA
- Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Colors: New Aurora Black / New Platinum Gray / New Moroccan Blue / Carmine Red
- Audio: 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC / DTS:X 3D Surround Sound / Super Far Field Voice Recognition / Tuned by Meridian
- Other: Cine Shot / Triple Preview / Triple Shot / AI CAM / AI Composition / Boombox Speaker / Google Assistant / Google Lens / AI Haptic / / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm®Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology (Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4 Compatible) / Wireless Charging / MIL-STD 810G Compliance / FM Radio
For more information visit LG.
Rob Follis has been writing about tech on and off for over 40 years, is a designer, photographer, information omnivore, gadget-head, Hi-Fi afficionado, owner of far far too many things and sadly an unsuccessful app developer. A born & bred Londoner now happily living in Melbourne. Email Rob.
MORE ON GADGETNET
Amazon and Sonos are known for their smart speakers, but next year both companies will be launching...
To up your gaming and your work game, try this competitively priced 32-inch curved monitor from BenQ.
Tivoli Audio has enjoyed immense success since its inception as a radio manufacturer in the year 2000. Nearly...
The new Huawei Mate 20 PRO might just be the best Android phone ever made.
Chinese company DJI has swiftly risen to dominate the consumer drone market, offering a wide range of...